The bug takes Manhattan..

What had been transpired me to do the blog recently was my visit to Philippines. Since then, I confessed that I developed a newly ignited passion for travel; and that passion has been firing up my feet in the early days of February.
I still have a long way back then to contemplate on where to go. But still, the idea of a few days off excite my senses from day one. I was browsing my phonebook and hoping to engage some potential dormant traveller that was once sleeping who might be interested to take part in the journey of feeding my blog. I was even more eager to befriend a friend’s friend who shares the same interest to globetrot within our means, mainly to cut the hotel bill in half, instantly! Hehehe. Though I was really hoping nobody would say yes, as I was more than happy to take a leap of faith travelling solo. Until my excitement held to a more exciting phase of my anticipated plan, I will go alone! Skimming through the travel section of the public library, I pinned down my x-mark on my map, and decided to have a blast at New York City.
THE TOUR BUS EXPERIENCE
I set my mind to go to a nearby city from Toronto if I have to travel by myself, which is ironic for me to say that New York City is a good 10-hour drive from the City of Toronto. 10-hour drive is not bad actually, even more so given the seat next to me was declined by another single-supplement at the tour bus. So, I had an extra leg-room as a bonus.
AT THE BORDER
Not so cool. One thing I noticed was that the rowdy-looking agent who went up on the bus seemed a no-nonsense kind, direct, a little rude, firm and businesslike.
People travelling to US may find it a little scary to visit the country, as the first thing they have to encounter are some officers toting a gun. But mind you, the terrorist from the 9/11 managed to cross the border without crossing hairs with these tough-looking agents.
Anyways, I have to get off the bus, and walked down the office to check and recheck that I'm not Angelina Jolie's would-be adopted daughter! I couldn’t imagine how packed it was with bored-looking people & looked like they hadn’t eaten for days considering it was only few hours are waiting there to grant some visas and lengthy interviews for people who wish nothing but just to kiss and sniff the American soil. Just kiss and sniff.
So, the shortest of the shortest interview with a big fat officer is done, and I had to pay for $6 for the small white card thing that is attached to my passport. Nice. How many people cross the border every single day? Thousands! Which to me, sounds like this: “ka-ching”!
A BITE OF THE BIG APPLE:

Home to many immigrants who migrated during the 18th and 19th century at the Ellis Island thru the Hudson River from all over the continents, and unsurprisingly not even one Filipino migrated there that time. “Aargh, sayang..” hehe!

Swarm of people coming into different directions of major intersections of Manhattan. Literally, I didn’t know where these people are coming from! Looking at the hordes of people alone in every nook and cranny of this busy city, you’ll be entertained with different kinds of people coming in and out of the street.

The smoke created from the deep-fried pretzel was coming from the decent movable cart on the sidewalk of NYC, which the counterpart of Philippines’ ‘rotisserie’ at the sidewalk as “kanto” that offers grilled chicken intestines, chicken head, feet, which is more common to locals as “adidas” and “isaw” . I didn’t try any food from those smoke belching food-cart of the streets of Manhattan, as I’m trying to eat real foods when on travel as much as possible, but later blamed being a snob when I didn’t dig the must-try food from the carts, as it was NYC’s staple food during lunch rush hour.

Anyways, New York City is the most populous and one of the popular cities in the US, where skyscrapers are springing like mushrooms. Having been there made me think that downtown Toronto is a big joke, seriously!

Can you imagine those bright & colourful neon lighted billboards that framed the buildings are on 24/7.. that’s why it has been said that New York is the city that never sleeps. Clubbing is one reason why this city never sleeps, like a cloud of bats, people doesn’t come to a club only after 2am, which is usually the party had just started—so, don’t go at 11pm to kick off those blue suede shoes, you’ll be wasting your time because people usually go to a bar and have a drink or two before heading to the club.

Parking spot at NYC is such a trick. Now you see it, later you won’t. So, they invented this scaffolding for parking vehicles that is just jampacked with cars up to 4 cars high. See the picture below.. What a unique spot! How does it work? I have no idea.

LOWER MANHATTAN
Lower Manhattan is the FINANCIAL DISTRICT of New York City. WALL STREET, where the neighbouring NEW YORK STOCK EXCHANGE (NYSE) is, garnered the popularity as some negotiation of billions of dollars worth of stocks, bonds and whatever term they may call it take place, which I have no idea where the heck those billions of dollars went.













Ground Zero.
GROUND ZERO. Nobody would ever forget the history that happened in September 11, 2001. The Ground Zero that is located at Lower Manhattan that used to be called the Twin Towers/World Trade Center has now built a surface which is a big difference 3 years ago. It was actually 9 neighbouring buildings were being destroyed in the attack including the WTC. There is one finished skyscraper near the Ellis Island where no one wants to buy or rent in fear of a terrorist attack that might happen like what it did in 9/11. After over 5000 entries being submitted for the architecture of the new tower, Daniel Libeskind claimed the victory of winning the contest in designing the “would-be FREEDOM TOWER” in honor of all the people who died in the 9/11 attack. A quick FYI: He was also the master planner of Toronto’s Royal Ontario Museum (ROM)that is named after the $30million-donor Michael Lee-Chin that is now called “the Michael Lee-Chin Crystal”.















The Twin Towers, grabbed from art.com



WINTER GARDEN was also one of the 9 buildings that was destroyed during the terrorist attack. The restoration of the building was almost done, with imported palm trees planted inside the building. Its a haven for people who work at the office during lunch hour.



















BROOKLYN (one of the 5 boroughs of NYC)


The marvellous BROOKLYN BRIDGE, where the four subway lines connect from Manhattan to Brooklyn, with its massive foundation, used to be a wine-cellar.

SOUTH STREET SEAPORT. Pier 17’s got a 3-storey mall adjacent to the boroughs of Brooklyn with pretty much the same chain clothing store inside, and a food court as it is in a regular mall, except that it is located near the edge of the pier. The food court with its open concept glass walls will lead you to a better view of Brooklyn. Outside, there were ample amount of chairs for people who loves to eat out and bask in the sun.


















SoHo and TRIBECA. Home to many Hollywood A-listers who own some posh apartments including Nicole Kidman,
Britney Spears, Naomi Campbell, Robert de Niro, Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen (the Olsen twins), to name a few.
Aside from posh apartments and 5 restaurants being owned, Robert de Niro also founded the annual Tribeca Film Festival which was a success .
The picture is just one of the warehouses and apartments at SoHo with cast iron-clad stairs.


CHINATOWN. Chinese people outnumbered the fast growing branches of Italian community in the Big Apple. If you are a frugal fashionista and looking for serious bargains, I’m sure Chinatown is the first thing to come to your mind regardless of which part of the world you are. Rolex for $20.00, anyone? And how about the twin sister of that heavily tattoed-LV purse I was eyeing at the 5th Avenue posh store? In Little China, LV-tattoed bags and even silent Guccis are slashed down for only $50.00 from $$$$-and up original prices; sometimes, you can even haggle those for 30 or 20 bucks if you are born with an artistic style of bargaining. Of course, those are knock-offs!


ELLIS ISLAND
A fifteen minute ferry ride will take you to Ellis Island. Inside the museum are tons of memorabilias, old luggages and stuffs that the people used who migrated from all over the world. That time, it only take a minute to screen and test a prospective immigrant for health check! Imagine the doctors will just look at you up and down, from about few feet away, then they will decide the fate of those people to succesfully land or face deportation!
















SOME PICTURES INSIDE THE IMMIGRATION MUSEUM







STATUE OF LIBERTY.
NYC’s landmark. The NYC bachelors’ one and only girlfriend. Going to the top would be a nice 3 hours wait starting from the long line up in the middle of a scorchin’ hot sun especially on summer days at the foot of this eligible bachelorette. (But, do we get decent summer this year? Thanks to global warming for sponsoring this unpredicatable weather of 2009.)The security tighten up in almost every New York historical attractions, so expect to spend almost half a day visit at the Ellis Island. Was a great experience to unite with Miss Liberty which I used to see her only in the movies.



MIDTOWN WEST


TIMES SQUARE is popular during New Years eve in the concourse of Broadway Avenue that is stretched way afar, where thousands of people gather and waiting for the countdown, which they almost inhaled falling confettis after. I read that it’s not worth every second of being there with thousands of people, not to mention that it happens on winter! But as you can see on TV during the year-end party, some people are smiling, seems like they were having fun in the middle of cold night, where over-the-top French kiss happens, but don’t be deceived, even FROMMERS warned me!
















The Pennsylvania Hotel in front of Madison Square Garden.




MADISON SQUARE GARDEN is home to NBA New York Knicks, right atop the PENN STATION, where huge concerts also usually held at. Remember PI’s own Charice Pempengco who invited by Celine Dion to perform in her own concert in 2008? That was here.
















GRAND CENTRAL STATION. Apparently, the largest train station in the world, with 26 tracks on the upper level and 31 tracks at the lower level. This busy concourse is always on the go, as it is with the train from morning till late night. It is almost the same vaulted ceiling as it is with Toronto’s Union Station, except that Union is way smaller than NYC’s. It has a long Grand Central Market at the upper level, and will lead you to different scenery and aromatic smell of different artisanal cheese and lots of concoctions made uniquely for the Market; New Yorkers and tourists alike.






EMPIRE STATE BUILDING bag the title of being the tallest building in New York City once again after the September 11 attack that put World Trade Center into rubble. It also has its share of terrorist attack some years ago, and fortunately tourists are still allowed to go up the top with a heavily guarded metal detectors that make it almost 2-3 hours wait to ride all the way up and enjoy the most beautiful scenery of NYC on a clear day.

Aerial view of the Empire State Building grabbed from the travel photos of Nat'l. Geographic Society.

VIEW FROM THE OBSERVATION DECK OF THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING













TRUMP TOWER. The business mogul’s building who is famous for his Apprentice’s catchphrase : ”You’re fired!”, is located at the 5th Avenue where posh stores surrounded the tower. Housed the giant iconic Italian label, Gucci that was packed with heavily branded-clad people checking out the classic collections.


BROADWAY AVENUE is famous for those enormous billboards mounted outside the buildings with those ever entertaining bright neon LCDs that is on 24/7, and its countless musical shows available all year long. I would want to experience Broadway’s theatre, at least one of those hundreds when I come back. People would appreciate the neon lights of entertainment just by looking outside the streets of Broadway Avenue and 42nd Street at night time. Travelling on foot is always the best way to experience Manhattan, as you can go everywhere your feet take you. Seeing where the action is, hear the locals’ accent, and taste local food are the essential part of scouring the streets and avenues of this big, busy and beautiful city.
I captured the different faces of MACY’s, and boy the aspiring photographer in me was flippin' happy! (see the picture of "New York in April" section below). Busy and smart-looking make-up artists offering freebies the moment you step inside, free make-over and free, free, free music lingering behind the busy and energetic atmosphere of the store, just makes me wanna move away from these people who have different definition of their own body fragrance that day(",). It says outside the building: ‘the world’s largest store’, has 10 large floors of prospective shopping haunts at the HERALD SQUARE in Midtown West. You can’t let a “grain” fall into the floors of Macy’s, with the swarm of people checking out for ‘imported’ goods at a reasonable price, because with that grain, you won’t be able to find again! The outside showcase of the building were lavishly decorated with I-just-can’t-believe fresh flowers. I was much impressed with two huge flamingos that are enrobed with pink little flowers, and I just can’t resist myself from having my picture taken with those giant birds at the back with Nihonggo speaking guy who took my pic, and he noticed instantly that I am a Pinay (which I am proud to be). I didn’t get myself anything from there, though I was eyeing for a nice Michael Kors purse, but I forced myself not to dive. Macy’s known for its old wooden escalator that I took a picture with, though you can’t hear the mechanism of the old wooden escalator that I heard, is just fun to complete the free riding experience at Macy’s.

FIFTH AVENUE, you’ll see it on the EAST SIDE OF MANHATTAN, where shopping haunts for people who have a knack for collecting real branded purses and clothes are happening.
SOME STREET VENDORS WHO SELL KNOCK-OFFS was just a funny thing that I have ever seen scouring the streets of NY. I was gonna try and bargain a Coach bag or just a Lu-wee Vuitton purse that sells only for $20 in some bangketas (street corner)of NYC. But then, from afar I knew she was an illegal vendor. Imagine this, she was wearing a a jeans, a white shirt, a black belt-bag dangling by her front, and her foundation for her must-be bread and butter--selling knock-offs/imitation brands on a square blanket being widespread on the sidewalk. The funny thing was, she talks so fast, moves so fast, and her game of a marathon cum hide n’ seek was just awesome! Head was almost rotating to 360 degrees constantly, on a look-out for roaming on-foot NYPDs! The moment we spotted a cop on the adjacent sidewalk, she was gone already toting the four corners of her blanket and got away with her bread and butter! I thought to myself, ooh, just like Divisioria (crowded place in Manila, where cheap and chic fashion sells). I was just gonna bend down like Beckham and grab a purse but then when I blinked, she was gone like Houdini! Just left me with a huge smile on my face, thinking that gag street performers can be found everywhere unexpectedly, with those recession-acquired talents especially showcased in the street of New York City!

DONNA’s Faves:
I can get lost at the world’s largest Macy’s for the day, and check out cool stuff from L.A.’s Kitson which aren’t available in the city of 416.
Although, I’m beating myself I didn’t get to experience Broadway musical and the largest train station, I would definitely come back anyhow! This show-off avenue is my fave, the people watcher that I am!
Grand Central Market inside the Grand Central Station..for the diversity, sight, sound and overpowering smell of cheese! Some people couldn’t stand the smell of cheese, particularly blue cheese. It’s soft, silky texture, that melts-in-your-mouth kind of thing, lined with blue MOLD and I loooove it.. I could stay there for the whole trip, promise!
I have asked a New Yorker for a direction. She even led me inside the store that I am looking for!
Last one would be the vendor who sells knock offs down the street. I just wish I took a video and post it to youtube! (Instant star she could be!)
LAST WORD FROM THE BLOGGER
I consider myself an adventurous type and a risk-taker. But, I cannot be without practicing caution basically wherever I go. I just proved to myself that I can go and travel places alone. Though I could, I know my certification for travelling solo expires when a friend decided to hitch one day. That I know for sure!
So, having been there at New York City is such a good learning experience for a green-apple traveler like me. To see places that is totally different from the one that I am in, experience diversities, and meet new friends are my foundation for this newly started blog of mine. Though I have been on a solo travel at the NYC for a few days, I’m glad I met Dan, Janice, Catherine and her sister, Sindu, Gerry and Rebecca, Kristine, Heather and “mother hen” Paul who counts his eggs nonstop.. little chicks I mean ( hahaha), the comical tour guide.
Being on a tour bus has its downside and upside as it is on travelling by own means, which I know for a fact because I experienced both, but whatever it is, I won’t complain. I would absolutely come back for the NYC tour probably with a friend on a weekend. The scouting experience wasn’t enough for this big city, and I am definitely coming back for more of NYCs.
Relying on one’s self and some strangers won’t be a good idea regarding taking pictures because, the shots I specifically like doesn’t happen most of the time. Hehehe..

NEW YORK IN APRIL!


























































































Highlighted pictures and information courtesy of: Frommer's New York 2008, Let's Go New York, art.com and National Geographic Society.
Next story:
Touring Alberta on a whim- regretful or wonderful? by Donna
Natural Hottie: Grand Canyon, Arizona by Tito Danny & Tita Noemi Beato

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PALAWAN

Hanlan's Point Nudist Beach Canada

Bon Echo Provincial Park